Enter your keyword

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Glimpse By Claire Merle Book Review

The Glimpse

The Glimpse
By Claire Merle

Publication Date: June 7, 2012 by Faber & Faber
Page Numbers: 432 pages
Format: E-arc, Netgalley
Source: Netgalley

Summary: In a near future, society is segregated according to whether people are genetically disposed to mental illness. 17-year-old Ana has been living the privileged life of a Pure due to an error in her DNA test. When the authorities find out, she faces banishment from her safe Community, a fate only thwarted by the fact that she has already been promised to Pure-boy Jasper Taurell.

When Jasper disappears, Ana sets off on his trail, determined to solve the mystery of his abduction. In doing so she journeys into the darkest corners of society, and uncovers some devastating truths that destroy everything she’s ever believed.


My Thoughts: Well, to me, this novel had so much potential. So much and yet, it sort of let me down. Not completely, but kind of. It's like this: It has so many ideas and things like that, but it was sort of jumbled together. It didn't seemed planned that well, but it fit. If that makes sense.

Then there's the plot line. The simple fact of the US being split into two sides: Pure and Unpure was interesting, but then it hit a grand factor: Jasper went missing. That was what pulled me in. The way the story was written reminded me a little of Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Ana has been told this her whole life, that the Pure test was the way, there was one little error in her test and she could live her life happily, but soon finds out it was all a lie. I like that part of it, but then Cole comes in. FUCKING COLE.

Then the story goes from amazing to..EHH! Because then its only really focused on the romance which KILLED IT. I hate it when the story changes gears like that. Especially when it starts to only focus on romance.  BAD, BAD. But then....something amazing happens.

Ana grows as a character and becomes this new, new person. The part in the mental asylum is what marks her change for me. That is what made the story and then the ending just blew my mind, kind of predictable, but it left a mark on you.

The characters were...eh. You didn't really feel for any of them. Except Ana toward the end, but, hey, that's me. The POV changes were pretty swell, too. It also made this book worth finishing for me.


Well, you know the deal,
Happy Readings,
Kandee



1 comment:

  1. I don't usually care for a book that will drop one story line and go for another either. I had high hopes for this one. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Readers. I love comments, they really make my day to see a comment. If you want me to check out your blog, leave your blog address and I'll be more than happy to check it out. Thanks.

Popular

Follow by Email