Enter your keyword

Monday, January 16, 2012

Book Review: Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) By Sarah Mlynowski



Ten Things We Did(and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski




Date Released: June 7, 2011 by HarperTeen
Page Numbers: 368 pages
Format: E-book, Kindle
Source: Kindle Store
Date Finished: January 15, 2012




Summary: 2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.

In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time




My Thoughts: Fun, fun thinkin' bout fun. You know what it is! Well, first off, I don't know why it took me this long to read this book! It's friggin fantastic. I flew through it last night and it was fast paced and such a good late night read. I got no sleep last night because of this book. Great writing style. Great crazy story line and hilarious characters. Each one was unique to the story and had their own place there. I couldn't ask for anything better.


This book made me want to move in with my best friend, buy a hot tub, buy a cat and a bunch of beer and party! It wasn't just about the crazy misadventures of teens in their own house together, it talked about some other issues, such as April's parents divorce, her relationship with her father and Penny, and also her own relationship. This "moving" made her realize who she was and what she stood for. I loved the way she talked about April and  Noah. It was crazy, yes. But it was so so true. Its scary realistic, but in a good way.


Out of all the characters, I think Vi, the control-freak, was my favorite. April, is a great narrator, too, but Vi topped it was the best friend for me. Or maybe because she reminds me a little of myself. Lucy annoyed me a bit at first, but as the girls say in the book, "she grew on me." Then there is....Ahhhh, Hudson, the assumed drug dealer hottie of the book. I loved him. I knew from the minute I read the book, he and April should've been together. His maturity and subtle nature helped April grow more. The scene when they were lying in bed make me fan girl squeal. I must admit to it. I was laughing and giggling through the whole book, so if you're looking for a fantastic read, this is the one for you.


I guarantee you won't regret picking it up. I didn't.




I'm Out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Readers. I love comments, they really make my day to see a comment. If you want me to check out your blog, leave your blog address and I'll be more than happy to check it out. Thanks.

Popular

Follow by Email