Enter your keyword

Monday, January 2, 2012

Book Review: The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong




The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong


Series: Darkest Powers Trilogy #1
Date Released: July 1, 2008 by HarperTeen
Page Number: 390 pages
Format: Paperback
Source: Borrowed from my library
Date Finished: December 30, 2011




Summary: After years of frequent moves following her mother’s death, Chloe Saunders’s life is finally settling down. She is attending art school, pursuing her dreams of becoming a director, making friends, meeting boys. Her biggest concern is that she’s not developing as fast as her friends are. But when puberty does hit, it brings more than hormone surges. Chloe starts seeing ghosts–everywhere, demanding her attention. After she suffers a breakdown, her devoted aunt Lauren gets her into a highly recommended group home.
At first, Lyle House seems a pretty okay place, except for Chloe’s small problem of fearing she might be facing a lifetime of mental illness. But as she gradually gets to know the other kids at the home–charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek, obnoxious Tori, and Rae, who has a “thing” for fire–Chloe begins to realize that there is something that binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual “problem kid” behaviour. And together they discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home either…





My Thoughts: Well, I don't usually follow with series that well, they have to be really good for me to sit and wait for the next book. And this book was exactly that! I didn't discover this book until late 2010 and so the second and third book were already out. After I finished  The Summoning, I had to go out and buy the others. It's really just that great.


Well, it starts off with Chloe Saunders in school and puberty hits her hard, she's very happy for it, but then things start to go wrong. She starts seeing ghosts. Not just at school, but everywhere. She has a huge breakdown-tantrum during school and her aunt puts her into a group home called Lyle House where others like her are put. As the days pass, Chloe grows a bond with some of the residents of the house, like Simon, the cute, nice boy of the group. There's Tori, who's....excuse my French...But the bitch of them all. Then there's the mysterious boy there, Derek, who always seems to have an eye on Chloe. As the months pass, Chloe discovers things at Lyle House aren't as they seem.


This book is amazing. It really takes you on a crazy ride. You may think one thing and then...BOOM. There's another twist. I first thought it'd be a quick read, but it was just so...powerful. There were so many questions at the beginning of the story like, "Is Chloe crazy?", "Is she really seeing ghosts", "What's going to happen?" By the end of the book, all my questions were answered and I was just stuck in shock. I wanted more! The character's are very likable, with the exception of Tori. She's just bitter and not very nice to anyone in the book, except Simon. My favorite character was either Derek, who was very mysterious, or Chloe. Derek was very mysterious, he was scary and just, overall down to earth in a way that made you love him. Chloe was very kind and adventurous. Just a very likable person dealing with not only the problems of being stuck in a crazy house, but the fact she has powers, very strong powers that she cannot control.


A fantastic story, worth spending all your reading time on. Very, very readable! I completely recommend this book! 




I'm Out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Readers. I love comments, they really make my day to see a comment. If you want me to check out your blog, leave your blog address and I'll be more than happy to check it out. Thanks.

Popular

Follow by Email