Enter your keyword

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Book Review: Love and Leftovers by Sara Tregay

Love and Leftovers
By Sarah Tregay


Release Date: December 27, 2011 by HarperCollins
Page Numbers: 448 
Format: E-book, Kindle Book
Source: Kindle Store
Challenges: Completely Contemporary, Standalone Reading Challenge


Summary: When her parents split, Marcie is dragged from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She leaves behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father. 

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "vacation" has become permanent. She starts at a new school where a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? can you even know it until you've lost it?

Love and Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl’s journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up whole.


My Thoughts: Fuck.fuck.fuck. I really wanted to enjoy this book, I really did because I had high hopes for Love and Leftovers when I saw this cute cover and I am the prime example why not to trust book covers, but I do it anyway. But, anyway, this book was not how I thought it'd be. It wasn't fantastic, it wasn't shit-worthy. It was okay, just okay. It was fast paced, with a good plot, but the actual story didn't win me over. But I must give props to Sarah for writing a book in verse, that, I must say, is damn hard. So I really liked that aspect of it. It has a certain raw nature, hence: When her father leaves her mother for man, but it was engulfs with so much sweetness, the raw was swept away.

Let's talk about characters: First there's Marcie, the main character, our narrator, I did not like her. She was relatable, but not lovable. I didn't really care about what happened in the book, I just really wanted to get done with it. She could have gotten hit by a car and my reaction would be:

                           

Well, at least the story is over with. And that's definitely not how you want a book to be. Well, Marcie just wants to be loved and so she meets JD, a sweet boy who brings her breakfast and she starts a "Friends With Benefits" type relationship with him because they both are in a relationship, but they want love, basically.  I like JD, he is what I want my boyfriend to be, except the cheating part, that wouldn't turn out very good, but he's sweet and so damn nice to Marcie. 

The best part about the book is when she finally returns and has to face the consequences of cheating. Because that spells: DRAMA! Which i love and everyone pretty much snubs her after the truth comes out, which she kind of deserves. The ending was pretty predictable the book was so quick, it didn't matter, soo. There it is.


I'm Out


2 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy it more. ]: I hadn't heard of this before, but I definitely won't be picking it up anytime soon.
    Thanks for the honest review.

    Erin @ Let's Evaluate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm a little bummed too. And no problem, I live for honesty. Thank you for commenting

    ReplyDelete

Hello Readers. I love comments, they really make my day to see a comment. If you want me to check out your blog, leave your blog address and I'll be more than happy to check it out. Thanks.

Popular

Follow by Email