Enter your keyword

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Review: Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Weiss



Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Weiss


Date Published: January 2nd 2007 by MTV and Pocket Books
Pages:  212 pages
Format: Paperback 
Date Finished: October 24th
Rating:  4.2/5




Summary: They promised Meredith nine years of safety, but only gave her three. 

Her father was supposed to be locked up until Meredith turned eighteen. She thought she had time to grow up, get out, and start a new life. But Meredith is only fifteen, and today her father is coming home from prison.

Today her time has run out.



My Thoughts: Well, firstly, the synopsis pulled me into wanting the book so bad. When I finally got it, I was sooo excited, but then as I read the book, it kind of let me down. I'm thinking it's a hardcore, raw book. It is, sort of, but not really until the end.

Well, this book is dealing with a serious subject: rape. Not just about a girl being raped, but one by her own father. On one hand, I'm sure this is how the girl would feel at the time, it's kind of cliche. As in, it doesn't hit the issue with a hard hand like I'd have wanted it to. It's more of a: I'VE BEEN RAPED AND RUNNING AWAY FROM MY PERVERTED CRAZY DAD kind of book. Not more of a more emotional read, which is what I thought it was.
 
She ran away from him more and the final scene of the book just was like: W.O.W. The characters were also very. . .Interesting . . .to read about. Andy, his mother, and Meredith are all strong, wonderful characters, but they just seemed there. Needed a bit more punch to their personalities and they would've been great.

 Meredith's mom is just. . .Grrr. Makes me want to punch a wall. People like her are what's wrong with the U.S these days. Her mother can plainly tell that her dad still a pedophile and is not stopping, but she continues to not say anything about it. Just sit there and wait for him to rape someone else and then back off to jail he goes

Overall, great read. Recommend it to anyone who like a fast read with hitting hard issues as this one does. 



2 comments:

  1. Have you read Wiess's other books? I've really liked all of them, and you might like Leftovers if you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope I haven't. I want to now since I really enjoyed this one!:D

    ReplyDelete

Hello Readers. I love comments, they really make my day to see a comment. If you want me to check out your blog, leave your blog address and I'll be more than happy to check it out. Thanks.

Popular

Follow by Email