Enter your keyword

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Book Review: Glitz by Philana Marie Boles



Glitz by Philana Marie Boles


Date Released: Febuary 2nd 2011
Pages: 256 pages
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Date Finished: October 23 ( Been meaning to write this for a while )
Rating; 4/5


Summary: Ann Michelle is tired of her boring, sheltered life. She longs for something real. Then she meets Raquel Marissa Diaz - Raq for short. Sassy, streetwise, and totally fearless, Raq is everything Ann Michelle isn't. She has a voice to die for and the attitude to go with it, and she'll stop at nothing to be a star. All Ann Michelle wants is to go along for the ride. Even if that means leaving home to go on the road with Piper, both girls' favorite hip-hop artist. And shedding her identity along the way to become Glitz, a bolder - but not necessarily better - version of herself.

Crackling with authenticity, energy, and heart, Philana Marie Boles's first young adult novel is about the true meaning of friendship and the pitfalls of fame.




My Thoughts: Well, I finished this book a while ago, so I feel bad to be reviewing it so late. Sorry.;[ 


This book mainly centers around two girls fascination with hip-hop and the rappers in it. At first, I was kind of skeptical about this book, but when I stayed up till 4 to finish it. I knew it was good. Their trip was one of their greatest dreams, so obviously they took it, no matter the consequences, but, honestly, why would some of the greatest rappers hang around a bunch of teenagers? Seriously.


Ann-Michelle annoyed me by the way she stepped aside to be in Raq's spot light and then they talked about her alter-ego, Glitz, who was a more exciting version of herself, but really "Glitz" and her acted the same: Kinda boring. Raq is a highly unlikable character. I don't know if you were suppose to not like her, but I DID NOT. She's stingy, selfish, and willing to hurt everyone who cares about her for fame. Like stealing credit cards, and clothes from a hotel and talking bad about the guys who're just trying to help her "career." Gosh, makes me mad to just type about her.


So, go and read it, it's a good book that kind of puts a good light on the hip-hop community unlike what society frames it as today. 


Happy Reading.





2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, not sure it's my kinda read. (And don't feel bad for the late review...when we read books on our own - not received for review - sometimes they don't get posted for a year!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, that makes me feel WAY better.Seriously, I felt to crappy for uploading late.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Readers. I love comments, they really make my day to see a comment. If you want me to check out your blog, leave your blog address and I'll be more than happy to check it out. Thanks.

Popular

Follow by Email