Enter your keyword

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson



Title: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
Author: Morgan Matson
Published: May 4, 2010 by Simon & Schuster
Pages:344
Source: Hardcover borrowed from library.
Rating: 4.9/5




Goodreads Summary: Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew—just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road—diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards—this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.






My thoughts: When I first opened the first pages of this book and saw the pictures, I knew this book was going to be good. Morgan's writing style is fun and fantastic. The book itself was very creative, which I loved, since I am creative! Also, Roger and Amy have really good taste in music.


Well, this book was about Amy, who's father recently died in a car accident when she was driving the car. She blames herself for his death and refuses to drive ever again. To make a new start in life, her mother moves to Connecticut and Amy stays in California to finish up school. Her twin brother is in rehab for a very bad drug habit, so he is no longer in her life, except in emails. While still in California, Amy blocks herself off from the world, and locks herself in her own world of sorrow and pity for herself. Amy's mother calls her and tells her Amy needs to drive herself and the car up to Connecticut so they can be a family, but since Amy won't drive, a family friend named Roger ,who needs to get to Philadelphia, drives her there. On the way, they decide together to go take the ultimate detour and take a trip around America before they settle down where they are suppose to go. 


I loved that the book was full of pictures! Pictures are just awesome and they're pictures from a road trip. I mean, who doesn't love road trips? The pictures were receipts and other things from places they'd visited during their trip. They made a list of playlist, mostly for Roger, but Amy had her chance at he end. Great music choices. A lot of YA novels this year have consisted of a girl who was driving a car and she crashed, killing someone in their family, that's what brought the rating down, but not a lot, since road trips are a new thing. 


They had a lot of great characters in this book. One of my favorite was Bron. She was spunky, fashionable and just a really out-going fun person to read about. I liked Amy, but at the beginning I didn't. In the end, she grew as a person and I also grew to love her. Lucien was an OK guy, that really helped out Amy and Roger at one point in the book and then there's Hadley. She was just a horrible person and I really didn't like her.


Overall, it's a wonderful book and a must-read for summer. I'm sad I'm just reading this book and summer is almost ending down here in Emerald City. It will stay with you even as you finish reading it. One more thing I enjoyed reading about was, as the trip got closer and closer to the end, Amy and Roger's relationship grew into something special. When they finally kissed, it made me go, "Finally!" in my head. It's a great debut novel, so congrats Morgan! You've written a beautiful novel.




Favorite Line: "Tomorow will be better." "What if it's not?" "Then say it again tomorrow because at some point tomorrow will be better."  

2 comments:

  1. hi thereeee! first of all, luv ur blog, ur header is sooo amazing!!! second, YOUVE WON AN AWARD!!! CONGRATS! check out my blog to collect it. (the award is for being a great blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Thank you so much I worked very hard on it! THANKS! I'm going to see about it immediately. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Readers. I love comments, they really make my day to see a comment. If you want me to check out your blog, leave your blog address and I'll be more than happy to check it out. Thanks.

Popular

Follow by Email